Yesterday started out okay............

Buzz

Re: Yesterday started out okay............

Post by Buzz »

Can you just accept a little less money to fix it than what total would be? Then you avoid the salvage title, and buying it back bullshit.
CUDA
Location: The lone Conservative voice in the Liberal Bastion of Portland Oregon

Post by CUDA »

Pudfark wrote:Rugg, bullshit on the salvage title....you have pics to show it was hail damaged....to many people, a salvage title indicates severe collision or flood damaged beyond repair.....keep your vehicle, if you want to....I would. With a proper repair, it would still retain much of it's value....
that's not how it works. Total loss has nothing to do with the damages. it has to do with the amount of the damages in relation to the value of the vehicle. I have seen very low mile older vehicles total with not much more than a headlamp and fender replacement. your only option is to find a shop that is willing to repair the vehicle for a guaranteed amount that will not result in a total loss.
if you choose to take the funds and cash out, then the insurance carrier is obligated by law to pay you the "fair market value" for the costs of your repairs. and since an estimate has already been written an amount has been established. by doing anything less opens them up to potential laws suits that could seen as a type of fraud on their part.

Haggerty is a vehicle value insurance what did you value your car at??
"In reality, there exists only fact and fiction.
Opinions result from a lack of the former and a reliance on the latter."

ruggbutt

Post by ruggbutt »

$9k.
All the cool LOMAC stuff
Reservoir_Dog wrote:It's been a long time since she's cum
CUDA

Post by CUDA »

and the estimate was 9K??? looks like you might have a problem. 9k is a lot of repairs though

ruggbutt

Post by ruggbutt »

Haven't got the estimate. But 70% of $9k is $6300.
All the cool LOMAC stuff
Reservoir_Dog wrote:It's been a long time since she's cum
CUDA

Post by CUDA »

then you have options. go to a shop and get one. at least you'll know what your looking at.

Buzz

Post by Buzz »

I don't understand something. I've watched the Hagerty guy on My Classic Car tv show. He says you agree on a value for the car, and that's what you get if it's totaled. No mention of 70%.

This is from the Hagerty site.

Guaranteed Value
We understand the value of your car. With Hagerty, securing coverage for the true value of your car is a simple process. We start with an Agreed Value policy, then we guarantee it. That is, we’ll agree on the insured value, and in the event of a covered total loss, you’re guaranteed to receive that amount. Period.

This sets Hagerty apart from companies who offer “Actual Cash Value” or “Stated Value” policies, which may depreciate your vehicle in the event of a claim.
Pudfark

Post by Pudfark »

Not to get into an argument with anybody about this......but the bottom line seems to be this....If the vehicle repairs are less than a "total" of the vehicle, you get to keep it. If the repairs exceed the "total" of the vehicle, the only way to keep it, is to buy it back as salvage.

There are an infinite number of ways to negotiate both of the above. A place to start might be? If it is totaled and you want it back? The value placed on it is $9000 and at 70% of that, it is considered totaled. At that point tell them, Ok, but only if I get the salvage rights. They will probably want something in the neighborhood of the difference between $9000 and the estimate for repairs or possibly the $2700 difference between what "totals" the vehicle and what it was insured for....

Normally, everything is negotiable? However, keep this in mind, none of us has read the terms and conditions of your policy. Don't hesitate to negotiate.

It is generally cheaper for the insurance company to sell you back the salvage. If they choose not to do this, then they have many other additional costs, to include storage, transportation and fees associated with it's future sale/disposition....If you want to keep it, negotiate.
CUDA

Post by CUDA »

Buzz wrote:I don't understand something. I've watched the Hagerty guy on My Classic Car tv show. He says you agree on a value for the car, and that's what you get if it's totaled. No mention of 70%.

This is from the Hagerty site.

Guaranteed Value
We understand the value of your car. With Hagerty, securing coverage for the true value of your car is a simple process. We start with an Agreed Value policy, then we guarantee it. That is, we’ll agree on the insured value, and in the event of a covered total loss, you’re guaranteed to receive that amount. Period.

This sets Hagerty apart from companies who offer “Actual Cash Value” or “Stated Value” policies, which may depreciate your vehicle in the event of a claim.
you will get the cash value of the policy "if" the car is totaled. BUT it only takes 70% of the value to consider the car a total loss, there are many factors involved inc salvage value of the vehicle.

Buzz

Post by Buzz »

So, why can't he take 69% of the value and keep the car?