A little help please

fatman

A little help please

Post by fatman »

So i got what i think was my first virus last night on my desktop is there anything i can do to save the situation?
And yeah it was on puretna i think they got hacked because i didnt click on anything as soon as i hit the browse page the proverbail hit the fan cant open any programs not node or any spyware programs hell i cant even open firefox and there is warning messages coming up saying i have a worm and click this to get rid of it but im sure thats the virus talking.
So is there something i can stick on a usb to tackle it or do i just rip out the hdd and start again?
Also i have a 2nd hdd and an external hooked up are they safe?

Well scuttlebut is saying its a trojan, ugh i feel so violated
ruggbutt

Re: A little help please

Post by ruggbutt »

All the cool LOMAC stuff
Reservoir_Dog wrote:It's been a long time since she's cum
Pudfark

Post by Pudfark »

Ouch...Fatman....

Some of those trojans are real rat bastards to get rid of.....Do you know the name of the virus/trojan ?
If you do, ya can google for solutions....
Worst case scenario...as I'm sure you know...reformat and reinstall OS....if, you have to do this...hope ya don't lose much...
Other idea if you can install "Malwarebytes Anti-Malware " program..it's free and effective, however, no real time protection..only after the fact...I use it.
What Anit-Virus program were you running, when this occurred?

Old Pudfark sez: " Post some more info, if ya can...I'll try to help "
Daiichidoku

Post by Daiichidoku »

extra, external or even large usb flash drives to save all the vital stuff then wipe the system with a reformat

pain, but piece of mind
ginger_cat

Post by ginger_cat »

And when you've done all that, install Ubuntu as a dual-boot - and do all your pron surfing without windoze :)

That smiley don't look like a smile.
Soapy

Post by Soapy »

There are loads of fake virii progs that pop up and tell you that your system is infected. If you DL and install their fix, chances are you will be borked or have to "buy" a fix ( do you really want to submit your CC details to a dodgy anti virus site ?)

What o/s are you running. What AV progg and FW ?

I'd suggest you update whatever AV you have, completely disconnect from the net, then run a full scan in safe mode with admin.

Prior to that you could also run Malwarebytes DL it from here ( do an update then quick scan )

http://www.malwarebytes.org/ Free version will do for quick scan

After that, keep it and your AV up to date and run scans often.

If it does detect and remove a nasty, then reset all your important passwords ASAP ( internet banking etc )

I'd do the above sooner rather than later mate.
fatman

Post by fatman »

Daiichidoku wrote:extra, external or even large usb flash drives to save all the vital stuff then wipe the system with a reformat

pain, but piece of mind
So transfering stuff over wont be infected? Im not sure.
fatman

Post by fatman »

Nice Ruggie i might give that a go just for the hell of it but i will still be picking up a new hdd tomorrow dont think i could fully trust it, and pudfark and soapy i am running xp on the desktop and had sygate as the firewall, with malwarebytes and spybot s&d and nod32 as anti virus all updated 2 weeks ago with a full scan and its a pity i can open documents and videos i just cant open any programs from solitare to nod, so i will have to see if i can run them from usb. And as for safemode is there a way int that from windows the i dont get a boot screen anymore its just straight up windows screens
Pudfark

Post by Pudfark »

I take it malwarebytes won't run....drat! You got one of the bad virus's....My son-in law..had something like that on his computer...took a couple of days and much head banging to get rid of it....it seemed to automatically find all the defense programs...and delete most of their files...it was a nasty bugger....only internet connect it allowed was to it's own site..to infect you more or you had to pay a "ransom" to fix it....further, if you tried to update any of your defense programs..it would take you to it's own site disguised as the legitimate site.....Rugg's idea might be a good one....or a complete reformat...seems like a coin toss at the moment....I wish you well.

If you do use a new hdd...load the OS. I would advise loading Win 7 64 bit, if you can...seems like the 64 bit systems are more resistant to that sort of thing....just an idea? However, if returning to XP, I would only install the OS and then the best Anti-Malware program I could find.....then install the other "infected" drives one at a time and scan them.....Good Luck !
GOYA

Post by GOYA »

Combofix.exe

If that can't fix it, format it.

I had a seriously bad rootkit on one of the work PCs and that prog cleaned it right up.